Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bits and Pieces

Things of note that happened today:

  • Had ‘love’ written on her arm, by Ewy.

  • Was told to take up bodybuilding by her English teacher.

  • Completed the Computer Skills test in something like 23 minutes, had her condescending support teacher check her test for another 5 just to ensure she hadn’t accidentally missed a question, left her phone in the conference Room and had it returned by him during Drama. The conversation went something like this:
    Him: Where’s your phone? (Probably whilst brandishing it smugly)
    Me: Oh! Thanks. (Embarrassed)
    Him: *Laughs* It’s ok.
    Deva: Is he your father?
    Me: *Insulted* No! How could you say such a thing!

  • Was molested by Praween, it was adorable.

  • Assaulted Sean. With a fan.

  • Said something that, according to Sneha, was “quotable”. I merely pointed out that Owen rhymes with Bowen (or however you spell it!)



And on a more serious note... a couple of days ago we received our English Yearly marks. First of all, kudos to both Noor and Sneha for each getting an A! You deserved them, considering the amount of work you put in. But the responses of certain individuals left a lot to be desired.

Suffice to say, Sneha received a less than desirable mark for her other essay, and was berated by her teacher for it. ‘If you’d done what I told you to do, that could’ve been a 15!’ Something along those lines. Firstly, considering the fact that the other mark was a 13, I think encouragement was in order rather than disparaging remarks like that. It’s a teacher’s duty to be encouraging, to offset the horrid influence of parents. That’s my reasoning, anyway. Also, I’ll wager I spent far more time critiquing her essays than he did, and I’m happy enough with the outcome. True, if she did horribly (which she didn’t), it wouldn’t reflect badly on me, but maybe he should provide more constructive criticism instead of just... criticism.

Teachers, teachers, teachers. I’m probably being too critical myself, but within the past year I think I’ve seen the very best and the very worst, and it’s really given me perspective.

Update: I was just watching the news on some channel or other, and a particularly lengthy item featured the latest ‘thing’ in America, ‘man-gagement rings’. Pathetic. That’s commercial television for you.

2 comments:

  1. "Was molested by Praween, it was adorable."
    somehwat disturbing, yet i agree. XD
    ok...what exactly is a man-gagement ring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man-gagement ring is, put simply, an engagement ring for a man. Certainly doesn't deserve a three-minute exposé on the news.

    ReplyDelete